Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Legally Blonde, I Mean Brunette

Hello beloved followers!

I just got back from Cyprus at the beginning of this week and I'm hard at work to update the blog.  I wanted to put it up this week, but it might be later than I expected!  Why?

As some of you might know, my plan is to do something with my life after my Bachelor's degree and since Bachelor degree's nowadays are basically the world's most expensive piece of paper, I planning on applying to Law School and Graduate Schools in the hopes that I won't die a beggar.

Unfortunately, that also means I have to take a ton of dehumanizing and demoralizing standardized tests to get in.

Photobucket
Devil Wears Prada .gifs are
always appropriate
The earliest LSAT (Law School Acceptance Test) for the round of 2012-2013 applications is in June.  And I've been spending time for the past 6 months studying for it.  Because Germans don't usually take the test, I get to travel all the way to Munich to take it!

 Hopefully, I can get a mini blog post out of it, but as of right now, I'm so nervous and scared (hence the stress-blogging!  It beats stress eating, but not by much).

The LSAT is a test sent straight from hell, especially the logic games.  Each test has 5 parts:

  • 2 Logical Reasoning sections (short passages with questions)
  • 1 Analytical Reasoning Section (logic games)
  • 1 Reading Comprehension Section (long passages with sections) 
  • 1 experiment section (just to torture you)
  • Writing Section (but it's not graded, because you know, the quality of a lawyer's writing doesn't matter, but their ability to put cars in a row based on arbitrary rules is)  

Anyway, here's an example of the sadistic quality of the logic games:

"Three boys - Karl, Luis, and Miguel - and three girls - Rita, Sarah, and Tura - are giving a dance recital.  Three dances - 1,2, and 3 - are to be preformed.  Each dance involves three pairs of children, a boy and a girl partnering each other in each pair, according to the following conditions:
      Karl partners Sarah in either dance 1 or dance 2
      Whoever partners Rita in dance 2 must partner Sarah in dance 3
      No two children can partner each other in more than one dance"

Want to smash your brains out yet?  Oh no, it's not over yet.

Question: If Miguel partners Rita in dance 2, which one of the following could be true?
                a) Karl partners Tula in dance 1
                b) Luis partners Sarah in dance 2
                c) Luis partners Sarah in dance 3
                d) Miguel partners Sarah in dance 1
                e) Miguel partners Tura in dance 3


Welcome to my nightmare.

Every time I think about the test or take a practice, these are my feelings in a nutshell.  Also, Cam from Modern Family is my spirit animal.

When I get to a hard logic game:

Photobucket

When I realize I'm running out of time on a section:

Photobucket

At the end of questions on a long reading passage:

Photobucket

After self-grading my practice tests:

Photobucket

When I feel bitter about my practice score:

Photobucket

So in a nutshell, I'm pretty sure my reaction after the test, regardless of how it goes will be this:

Photobucket


Wow, you're still reading? You're the best and I'm terribly sorry for this nervous-rant blog.

I'm going to cuddle with my plushie Simba and stop worrying.


PS. The answer was b) for those of you playing along at home.

PPS. Please don't sue me LSAC for using a real question.  It's purposes are for satire and humor and the tears of children only.

No comments:

Post a Comment