Friday, December 13, 2013

5 Things (I'm Looking Forward To About Being Home)

Dear Followers,

Only 5 more days until I land state-side, so here are 5 things that I'm really looking forward to while I'm back home!

1.  Being with family and friends. 

Duh. This is self explanatory.

But I admit, I have been starved for physical affection/acknowledgment here in Germany, because they don't do hugs (which is just sad).  So I apologize, if I pounce on you, random acquaintance, because I really love hugs and I definitely missed you.

 photo letmeloveyou_zpsa2252e03.gif
Just take the compliment and try to carefully
extricate yourself from my vise-like grip.

2.  "Making" Christmas cookies with my Mom.

Not to brag, but my Mom makes really good cookies.

I, of course, will provide generous help with taste-testing batching of dough and cooked cookies, because somebody has to do that job.

Also, I enjoy tempting fate into giving me salmonella poisoning.

Here I am helping make blueberry jam, back in
the day.
3.  Watching a Bears game with my Vati.

Invariably, we will blow a 1st  (or good God, a 3rd) quarter lead, Cutler will throw a least one interception that will be turned into a touchdown for the other team, and Robbie Gould (I love you, you're the best) will attempt to salvage what's left of Chicago pride.

All the while, my Dad and I will yell and/or shriek (respectively) at the TV while also experiencing all the stages of grief.  Mostly anger.  And begrudging acceptance.


 photo emperorsnewgroovesadcryingllama_zps0088d623.gif

Meanwhile, my Mom will go back to quilting while shaking her head and Will might wake up from his nap on the couch long enough to tell us to be quiet.

4.  All the American things that do not exist in Germany.

First of all...


 photo spidermanfood_zps3379b394.gif

Mac n'cheese, ranch, Buffalo wings, perfectly made hamburgers, juicy steaks, Thanksgiving dinners, and peanut butter.

Yes, I realize none of those are really healthy foods, but vegetables exist in Germany too.

(On the other hand, I can make good Schnitzel and Glühwein, so I guess it's an okay trade?)

Secondly: clothes dryers!

I want to wash all my clothes and then stick them into the dryer.  Then once the drying cycle is done, I want to stick my face into the freshly warmed clothes and pull on a pair of properly refitted/shrunk/dried jeans.

 Blissful sigh.


5.  Getting to walk our new dog!!!!

So my parents, undoubtedly shocked by having both their children gone for a semester, caved and finally got a dog.

Which is a little unfair, considering I've wanted a new dog since senior year of high school.

But still, I'm ridiculously excited.

 photo littlebabyhappyfreakout.gif

Anyway, my parents adopted a little rescue Boxer who was found abandoned on the Dunes, and in all seriousness, named her Hildegard von Bingen.  Like the German saint.   She goes by Hildy, of course.

But this makes me more grateful I escaped the other names on my baby name list, like Elsbeth, Clio, and Bronwyn.  (Yes, seriously Bronwyn. I couldn't be more Scotch-Welsh if I tried.)

I'm excited to buy our new pup "little" winter booties and take her for a walk in the snowdrifts of my hometown.

Also, fair warning for those of you friends with me on Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat. You will get pictures of my dog.  Sorry I'm not sorry.

Hope to see you soon my dearest followers!

And in the immortal words of Kim Possible: "Call me, beep me, if you wanna reach me".
Once I have cell phone service in America, that is.

Lots of Love,
Your Humble Blogger

PS. Probably should start packing. Maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baking supplies are ready and waiting for you to be home!

Post a Comment