Friday, August 26, 2011

Good Morning Germany!

Let me just say this: staying up for two days straight is difficult.
But I did it!

We left from O'Hare in the early evening and made our way to Heathrow by about 6:30 am.  It was raining. Typical.  The rain delayed us a bit and the British security was a mess - seriously, for the people who invented the word queue, there wasn't one - and I got to have a nice full body pat down when my boot set off the metal detector.  Then it was off to Stuttgart!  We arrived there on time and we were all happy to see the director of the  program in the next city (we don't have one) there.  We got our keys to our apartments and information about the slightly smaller, yet nevertheless annoying, bureaucratic hoops we have to jump through to get everything all for our dorm/apartment/Wohnheim.

It was difficult to get adjusted to the city: a) because none of us have cell phones, b) none of us had internet (thank God I was able to summon up the courage to ask a dorm mate in exceptionally terrible German - I was so tired and cranky by then - for the internet password.

We got lost.  A lot.

Luckily, a former exchange student, Clara, was there to help us find our way.  The Altstadt (The main downtown) is literally like a beehive, filled with nooks and crannies and once we found ourselves walking in a circle.  As Rachel put it, "There is something to be said for city planning on grids."

I'll post more on my dorm and the city itself in a bit.  I just wanted to say, that yes, I made it here! Day 2 is a go (well...wait and see if I can figure out the showers)!

It may be hot here (did I really leave the Midwest, the heat is the same), but I'm sure no one at home has my view:


No comments:

Post a Comment