Saturday, September 7, 2013

Kind of Hating Germany (Right Now)

I meant for my next post to be a cheery, photo filled explosion of Chemnitz.

The Blog is supposed to be about my experience abroad, which sometimes includes bad experiences. And this weekend has been pretty terrible so far, so apologies for the honesty hour, but let me vent for a bit.

My power blew out today while I was cooking dinner.

And I couldn't find my landlord.
And I couldn't call him because I don't have a phone.
And I can't get a phone because I don't have a bank account.
And I can't get a bank account because I haven't registered my address with the city.
And I haven't registered my address with the city because I need my landlord to sign a piece of paper.
And I can't find my landlord.

Sometimes, I hate Germany.  (Despite the bread, the chocolate, and the shopping.)

Rage, my dear followers, a slow, boiling rage.

On the other hand, with the help of my Dad and Kaylee, I was able to find the breaker, flip the right switches, and viola! Power was back.  And I learned something about fuse boxes today.

So hooray for successful adulthood!

Even without a landlord.

Now if only he could fix my leaking sink...


3 comments:

Dave S. said...

Franz Kafka wrote about Euro bureaucracy in "The Castle"...this is not a new phenomenon...

Katie O. said...

As they say...Keep Calm and Carry on! I'm rooting for you (and thinking of the chocolate and shopping!)

Unknown said...

Hi Hannah,
Grandma and I hope things go better for you soon......Grandma lit a $1 candle at church for you and said the next time you are at church, you should scope out an eligible bachelor plumber and/or electrician! :)

Love you bunches,
Aunt Mary and Grandma

Post a Comment